The principles of healthy eating say that our diet must vary from season to season. This way our body can truly enjoy the benefits of seasonal fruits and vegetables. In the summer time, the markets are full with delicious, fresh fruits and vegetables, so we must take full advantage of this. That's why we made a list with 6 aliments that you must include in your summer diet.
1. Beans and lentils: it is amazing how many benefits these two foods have. They have a high intake of vegetable protein and the ability to lower cholesterol through the large amount of fiber that they have. Also they fight against the fat deposits, and it has been proven that lentils consumers have less abdominal fat than those who rarely consume them.
2. Watermelon is the favorite fruit of summer! And that's because is full of water, natural sugars and is really healthy for your kidneys. Also it will help you with your daily intake of vitamins A and C.
3. Sweet potato: if you haven't include it into your diet yet, now is the time to do so. They are rich in vitamin A and minerals, but also in fibers. They are good for both your digestive system and your eyesight.
4. Red cabbage is the perfect summer vegetable. It is a great source of vitamins A and C and it has very few calories. Also it is an important source of antioxidants and fiber.
5. Tomatoes are a food that you should eat every day. They have the most powerful natural antioxidant, lycopene that is recommended as a treatment for many problems. When you cook them, the lycopene benefits are even bigger so don't be afraid to experiment and try new recipes this summer.
6. Greek yogurt is an ideal summer food. In general all yogurts are healthy, because they contain calcium, protein, zinc, vitamins B6 and B12 and potassium. The Greek yogurt is thicker than a normal one and that translates in more probiotic cultures and less lactose. Consume it as it is or add delicious snacks, fruit or cereals.